Until recently, a primer was not even a known word, and it is still only known to those who are proficient in their makeup. Professionals and dermatologists are both bringing primer to frequent use and for all the right reasons. Primer works in a way that it makes a bridge between makeup routine and your skincare routine. This cream is applied on the face before the makeup. It has proven to help the makeup to last longer and also avoid bringing makeup in direct contact of the skin. We need to be careful before buying the best primer for large pores that suits our skin type. If you are looking for the best primer for pores, this is the right article.
Skin specialists, dermatologists and university professors have teamed up with us to help you find the best primer for large pores available in 2021. With their help, we have created a list with top picks so you can choose the best for your skin.
- Top 10 Best Primer For Large Pores
- 1 – Smashbox Oil Free Faced Primer
- 2 – Smashbox Ultra Light Smooth Finish Foundation Primer
- 3 – Benefit Pore Minimizer Pro Balm Primer
- 4 – Revlon Imperfection Correcting Primer
- 5 – Jane Iredale Smooth Primer
- 6 – Elizabeth Arden Flawless Skin Primer
- 7 – Too Faced Poreless Primer
- 8 – Revlon Skin Perfecting Photo Ready Primer
- 9 – Hourglass Mineral Based Face Primer
- 10 – Becca Matte Finish Poreless Primer
- Types Of Primers
- Benefits of Best Primer For Large Pores
- Things To Consider While Buying The Best Primer For Large Pores
Top 10 Best Primer For Large Pores
Primer is, more often than not, a transparent cream and is supposed to have a moisturizing impact on the skin. It is applied after the face wash and moisturizer and before your makeup begins. Primer has gained a lot more popularity recently and is soon becoming a standard aid for everyone who is into makeup. With the help of experts we selected the 10 best products available on the market today!
1 – Smashbox Oil Free Faced Primer
Smashbox Oil Free Faced Primer is an instant solution for reducing the large skin pores and providing you the flawless airbrushed makeup effect. The lightweight feature of the primer settles down comfortably inside the skin cells and doesn’t wear off till a long time. The application of this beauty product generates a brilliant matte impression that only the best primer for pores can create.
Being oil-free, it is suitable for all skin types but the great for combined and oily skin tones. If you want you can easily mix one or two drops of your favorite foundation or cream with it while applying on your skin to avoid any dry flakes, especially on your nose areas. Ophthalmologists have already tested and claimed it as a safe product for fighting against acne and pimples of your skin.
- Minimizes large pores
- Flawless, smooth skin
- Lightweight compared to the best pore minimizing primers on the market
- Matte effect
- Ophthalmologists tested
- Ideal for all skin types
- Great coverage
- You can get an excellent matte skin effect
- A small application of the product can spread uniformly on your skin. Hence it can last long.
- Helps in getting soaked in the skin cells quickly without falling off.
- An expensive product as compared to other similar beauty primers in the market.
- Few skin types have faced pimples and acne as a result of applying this product.
2 – Smashbox Ultra Light Smooth Finish Foundation Primer
Smashbox Ultra Light Smooth Finish Foundation Primer is a water-based formula ideal for all skin type makes up the base. Lightweight and oil-free nature of the primer makes it stay long on your skin without any melting issue. Fighting against the fine lines/wrinkles by quickly blurring them is one of the essential functions of this makeup product. Any large pores can be reduced, and the hydration of the skin can be maintained.
When you include this vegan, cruelty-free primer in your make up regime, you can gradually observe uniform skin tone and beautiful canvas texture. While manufacturing the ultra-smooth foundation, no paraben and phthalates were used.
- Water-based foundation
- Suitable for all skin types including oily and combined skin types
- Ultra smooth and light
- Deprived of paraben and phthalates
- Reduces large skin pores
- Blurs all the fine lines and wrinkles
- Hydrates the skin
- Fights against discolored skin tone
- Blends well with the skin
- Regulates shine and glossy skin effect
- Acts as a smooth, flawless makeup the base
- Any skin imperfections can be covered well with this product.
- A brilliant anti-agent.
- For a few skin types after applying the primer, dry flakes, and overall skin dryness was experienced.
- Due to light weight and ultra smooth texture, few users have found difficulty in blending the base make up. It has even resulted in oily skin effect more.
3 – Benefit Pore Minimizer Pro Balm Primer
Benefit Pore Minimizer Pro Balm Primer is designed as a translucent agent consisting of vitamin E benefits for your skin. Softening the fine lines and wrinkles smoothly and giving you a silky skin is the prime target of this primer. If you are suffering from large pores, then you can use this weightless balm under your make up.
You will be amazed to see the decreasing large pores gradually. Oil-free nature of the primer can help your make up to stay for a long time without causing any cracks or cakey residue. The vitamin E content firmly maintains the moisturization level of the skin. Another function of vitamin E is to safeguard your skin from any free radicals.
It is advised by the beauty experts, for better results apply the primer over a little bit of regular moisturizing lotion. After your make up if you notice any pore persists then pat gently on your Tzone above your make up and then lightly blend it with your skin.
- Fights against the fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduces the large skin pores
- Balm texture
- Vitamin E found
- Suitable for all skin types
- Silky soft skin
- Radical free safely
- Stays under makeup for a long time
- Brilliant moisturizing effect on the skin
- No pimples or breakouts formed after applying the primer
- Great coverage and superb concealing qualities on your make up.
- Smells natural and fresh
- Quite costly compared to the best pore minimizing primer on the market today
4 – Revlon Imperfection Correcting Primer
Revlon Imperfection Correcting Primer can give you a smooth and calming perfect skin. Weightless nature helps in getting blend effortlessly with your skin. Diminishing the wrinkles and fine lines effectively and alleviating the large skin pores are the main functionality of this primer. An advanced High definition technology is infused safely for giving you an illuminated soft skin. Ideal for all skin types deprived of any harmful chemicals, oils artificial fragrance, and parabens. A slight pinkish tinge effect can be derived after applying it as a makeup base.
- Longer stay
- Skin tone correction easily
- Can blend well smoothly with the skin
- Skin pores can be reduced
- Works as a brilliant anti-aging agent
- Flawless skin
- Pinkish effect on the skin
- Free of oils, fragrance and paraben content
- Good for all skin types
- A safe primer
- Beautiful blending capability
- Produces a smooth skin by concealing the dark spots and fine lines etc
- No thick or messy residue found after base up is done with this primer
- Stays for a long time keeping care of your flawless airbrushed makeup.
- Quite an expensive primer compared to the best primer for pores on the market at the moment
- In a few sensitive skin types, red patches were formed after applying the primer. If you have an allergy prone skin or sensitive skin, before using the primer, please refer to a dermatologist.
5 – Jane Iredale Smooth Primer
Jane Iredale Smooth Primer is specially designed for all oily skin types. If you are facing any discoloration issue or large pores, then you can rely on this makeup base without any doubts. Fine lines can be easily softened. The grapefruit extract is the prime ingredient which helps in illuminating your skin. Green tea and white tea leaves are combined well to fight against the dark spots and wrinkles. A matte skin effect with flawless beauty is found as a result.
- Suitable for oily skin type
- Grapefruit extract
- A white and green tea blend
- Fights against wrinkles and fine lines
- Large pore diminish
- Matte skin
- Smoothly moisturizes your skin
- Blends well with your skin tone
- Removes discolored patches from your skin
- Treats acne scars well
- A pleasant smell can give you a refreshing experience
- Not as capable of reducing large pores for few skin types
- For a few skin types, breakouts were formed after applying this primer.
6 – Elizabeth Arden Flawless Skin Primer
Elizabeth Arden Flawless Skin Primer is an advanced formula which works as a magic for any skin type. Not only softening the skin but diminishing all the large skin pores and dark spots are the prime activity of this beauty base. When you use it regularly, you will see all the fine lines and wrinkles getting blurred with time due to the presence of light diffusing technology. Silica beads presence ca soak the excess oil from your skin and give you an even skin tone.
An instant radiant look with a younger glow can be derived and specially designed for women who are looking for excellent coverage and moisturized flawless skin. Constant moistening level is maintained in the skin due to hyaluronic acid and plant extracts blend in it.
- Suitable for all skin types and tones
- Softens skin
- Reduces fine lines
- Light diffused technology-induced
- Silica beads present
- Evens the skin tone
- Radiant, flawless skin
- Hyaluronic acid content
- Botanic extracts
- Excellent for base make up primer
- You can use the primer with any foundation you like to get a flawless look
- Amazing anti-aging functions
- Gives a decent coverage
- An affordable primer
- For a few skin types, dying out skin has been experienced. For a quick fix, you can use a little bit of any moisturizer with this primer and apply on your skin.
7 – Too Faced Poreless Primer
Too Faced Poreless Primer acts as a complete solution for an entire makeup process. Elimination of all the dark spots and fine lines from your skin is done in a smooth process. Pores can be lessened easily at the same time hydration level can be maintained well. Excess Mulberry extract and Arctostaphylos combination can save your skin from harmful sunlight and produce a calming effect all day long.
With the daily use of the primer under your makeup, you can experience a flawless canvas skin beauty. Blend of Retinyl Palmitate and cyclodextrin along with cavamax helps incomplete moisture retention and gives you suppleness to your skin, which again prevents active aging. Presence of vitamin A and camelia oil fights against free radicals. To get a smooth breathing carefree skin, you can opt for this primer.
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Maintains hydration
- Mulberry extract and Arctostaphylos content
- Retinyl palmitate and cyclodextrin mixture
- Vitamin A
- Free radicals
- Great for makeup base after which you can get a natural glow on your face.
- Fantastically blends with the skin tone
- Beautiful coverage provided after its application
- Smells amazing and pleasant
- Few skin types experienced thick and sticky residue.
- Few users have felt excess dryness on their skin by using this primer
- As a concealer, it has resulted in being greasy and messy at times
8 – Revlon Skin Perfecting Photo Ready Primer
Revlon Skin Perfecting Photo Ready Primer has been designed with a High definition Technology for producing a smooth, flawless look for all skin types. Teen skin can also be benefitted. A deadly combination of photochromatic pigments in the formula can give you a photogenic skin easily by reducing your skin pores. Weightless in nature, smoothly settles down under your make up generating a pinkish effect on your skin tone. Regular usage of this primer along with a moisturizer can help in the reduction of large pores and wrinkles.
Safe in nature as it contains no harmful toxins, oil, artificial aroma, and paraben. To get a pouty lip, you can also use the primer on your lips before applying any lip color. It can enhance the plump effect of your lips instantly. Being hypoallergenic, a constant balance of skin hydration is maintained.
- High Definition Technology induced
- Ideal for all skin types
- Beneficial for teen skin
- Photo-chromatic pigments found
- Free of harmful toxins, oil, artificial aroma, and paraben.
- Considerable coverage
- Reduces large skin pores
- Moisturizes well
- Great for lip contouring
- Helps to fight against skin discoloration
- The primer can easily blend with your skin, without forming any greasy residue
- In little super sensitive skin, lip swelling issues, along with red breakouts. It is advised for the skin users to consult a doctor first before applying any cosmetics on their skin.
- For few skin types, the primer has been successful for minimizing the fine lines but couldn’t fill the large skin pores.
9 – Hourglass Mineral Based Face Primer
Hourglass Mineral Based Face Primer is a smart technology solution for protecting your skin from all the toxins enhancing your natural glow. Lightweight in nature of the product with SPF 15 helps to fight against harmful UVA/UVB rays. Deprived of all kinds of oils, artificial fragrance, the makeup application can give you a smooth, flawless look. Diminishing the fine lines and reducing the large pores are the main aim of the primer. Unlike other makeup bases, it does not provide any sticky glue effect on your skin.
An all day long lasting natural glow is safely maintained. You can even conceal any red patches or dark spots by a brilliant concealing under your makeup base. Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin as it contains no parabens, sulfates, or phthalates.
For an excellent matte finish, you can apply the product in a circular motion and then spread it outwards. If you feel you are experiencing any dry flakes, then before application adds few drops of any cream or lotion.
- Natural Glow
- Flawless skin
- SPF 15
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Long lasting glow
- No residue
- Matte make up effect
- Free of oils, artificial fragrance, and parabens
- Minimizes pores
- Good coverage as a concealer
- Hydrates skin cells deeply
- Extremely beneficial for oily skin. Especially for those who have a T zone with random glossy effect.
- The minimum amount of touch up can help your make up to stay longer
- Silky smooth skin can be derived
- No pore clogging is another advantage
- An expensive product as compared to the similar other base makeups
- For a few oily skin types, after applying the primer, it has resulted in cakey residue and breakouts.
10 – Becca Matte Finish Poreless Primer
Becca Matte Finish Poreless Primer is designed as a makeup base for mattifying skin regulating the oil control of the skin till 12 hours a day. Due to the absence of silicon content in the composition, it helps to reduce the enlarged skin pores correctly. If you are facing issues with sagging skin, the glossy effect on your Tzone precisely no matter how much concealer you apply. Then you should surely try this perfect makeup primer. Soaks well with the skin cells and hydrates the skin throughout the day.
It comes in a small handy tube pack and brings astonishing effect on your daily beauty routine. The best part is the long lasting quality of your makeup without any fall off, or breakouts is ensured correctly. Free of oil, alcohol and artificial fragrance has helped to form a subtle texture of the formula.
According to the manufacturers it has been advised to get that brilliant matte effect, use a small part of the cream and then dab nicely with a beauty blender. Instead of any rubbing if you dab it, then uniform distribution on your skin can be maintained adequately.
- Matte effect
- Oil controls till 12 hours
- No presence of silicon
- Absorbs with the skin quickly
- Handy product
- Deprived of oil, alcohol and artificial fragrance
- No residue or cakey effect
- Blends well
- Brilliant quality
- Instant skin mattifying effect is a significant advantage
- Comes in small tube size, definitely travel-friendly
- No white or any residue found after your make up
- It can be used under your makeup for good coverage, or even without any makeup as an excellent moisturizer
- In case you are using any foundation with this, then often a thick residue is formed.
- Few skin types have experienced no changes in pore reduction or minimization. Though blurring the pores for sometimes was observed.
- The primer has also failed to succeed while blending with any regular foundation on the few skin types. Hence couldn’t give a perfect matte finish skin.
Types Of Primers
Primer has gained so much popularity that there now too many of them. While you need to choose the best primer for large pores, you also need to know what are the different options. Before moving on to what you should look for in a primer, you need to know the different types of primers that are available. While there are humungous options right now, there are below which are extremely popular. Let us take a look at them:
As goes the name, this primer is for your face, especially. You need to apply this before your make up, so that makeup mixes well and lasts long. Facial primers have also expanded to have so many types and components. These have also been advanced to moisturize the skin and take care of it from within. There are a lot of dermatologists that recommend facial primer based on skin type.
There are people around who have dry lips and love matte lipsticks. The primer fills this gap. Applying primer on lips keeps them moisturized, and you can easily apply matte lipsticks. Lip primer takes care of lips and helps to soften them. Lips have said to become plump after using the primer for some time on it. It is particularly suitable for people who use lipstick very frequently.
Mascara Primer is used before you put mascara on your eyelashes. It is like a coat that is added to your lashes that make them more prominent and also soft. The difference, while not completely visible, is that it also takes care of your eyelashes along with making them more nourished for the mascara primer. Mascara primer also protects the eyelashes from the chemicals by coating them.
Eye Shadow Primer
Just like the facial primer is for your skin, eye shadow is to be applied before you do any eye makeup. Today, eye make up has a niche of its own, and people are using numerous and reliable products for their eye shadow. This is the reason the primer is essential. It will protect the skin from any harm and also be very gentle on the skin to let it breathe. Eye make up involves using too many products, and a primer ensures your skin stands in no harm for it.
These are the few types of primers that have become increasingly very popular and are chosen by a lot many professionals today. It is being considered as a right skin care product as well. Using a primer before makeup makes your skin better and does not let makeup have side effects on it. There is an invention of so many types of primers because there is also the presence of so much makeup.
Benefits of Best Primer For Large Pores
There are a lot of benefits that the use of primer can get you. These involve a lot of many aspects. There is a reason that primers have become increasingly popular lately. For something that was not even known sometime back, to have gained this much popularity has a lot of benefits in it. Let us take a look at some of these benefits and discuss them to help you choose the best primer for large pores
Long Lasting Makeup
Using a textbook is being broadcasted as something that helps to last hour makeup for a longer time. If you apply the primer on your face after you have cleaned it and before your makeup then it will help for the makeup to stick to skin and last for a longer time on your skin. This is especially more important for people who need makeup on their skin for the entire day.
A primer nourishes your skin and prepares it for the makeup. Applying the primer also helps to blend the makeup and make it look more natural on the skin. For people with acne scars, primers help to coat them with moisturizer, and then the chemicals from makeup will not affect the scars or harm them as the makeup can be blended more naturally. Primer helps to even the skin tone by blending the makeup systematically.
People who have oily skin have issues applying makeup. The first and foremost suggestion would be to use water based foundations. Even so, there will be some amount of oil and chemical that can ruin the matte makeup on your oily skin. Using a primer will help in that, the oil from the skin will be subdued, and the makeup will look good and also stay intact. There are special oily skin primers that are made to help with oily skin.
Lip primers are a boon for chapped lips. There are lips problems like dried and patchy lips. These problems are aggravated by the use of chemically induced lip makeup. Using lip primer moisturizes the lips and makes them soft. They also make them tolerant towards the lip makeup. Using a lip primer can make the matte lipstick application easier for people with dry lips.
As mentioned above, the primer is also a skin care product. It takes care of your skin and also moisturizes it, helping to achieve smooth skin. The moisturizer seeps into your skin, and the contents also up there with the best pore minimizing primers. There are so many types of primers like water-based primers, which act as actual moisturizers and hydrate the skin thoroughly.
Some people apply makeup daily. Not all your make up products are oil free. There will always be some chemical that you will be exposing your skin too. Applying makeup daily can be taxing on your skin and primer solves that for you. Primer is a must if you use the makeup daily. You will need the extra protection for your skin and primer is the best way to provide it.
Less Re-Applying Of Makeup
Some people have skin issues like acne scars, patchy skin, or large pores. These things are both causes as well as the effect of applying so much makeup. People need their scars to be concealed. For this very reason, people also reapply makeup when the effect wears off. Primer helps the makeup to stay on for a longer time, thereby reducing the need to reapply it and saving the skin from any further chemical exposure.
People are taking skincare very seriously these days. Primer is known and sought out the product for a good skincare routine. Primer helps to improve skin health. There are primers which are specific for the skin issues as well. A pore minimizing primer will help to close the large pores on your skin right before applying makeup on it. This means it does not let the chemicals seep in and also reduces the occurrence of acne on your skin.
These are a few of the benefits that can be reaped out of using a primer. There are a lot more benefits which can be extracted out of the correct use of a primer. You need to choose the best primer for large pores to reduce the skin problems as well as protect the skin from any of the future skin issues that might occur. Primer is recommended and used by all makeup artists for the same reason that they don’t want the harsh products to impact the skin negatively.
Things To Consider While Buying The Best Primer For Large Pores
With recently gained popularity, the primer has become a hot favorite and to take benefit of the ripe market; there are a lot of options that have been introduced. You will need to be diligent while choosing the best primer for large pores. Some things should be considered while buying any of the skin products. These should be checked thoroughly to avoid any adverse impact on the skin.
The case for primer is no different. You will need to take note of a lot of things to make it the best fit for you. Below are some of the points noted down for ease, which can help you choose an excellent primer for your skin. Let us discuss these in short:
You need to select every skin product in tandem with your skin type. This is of utmost importance. The skin product is applied to suit and better your skin if it is not as per your skin type, then it is not going to add any benefit but might lead to side effects or aggravated problems. To avoid these issues, it must be ensured that the primer is as per the type of your skin. Only then can the primer do its job as required. Below are the different skin types and the primers they need
- Dry skin
Drying skin is very difficult to type when it comes to choosing a primer. You need a dry skin primer that will be super hydrating and yet not make you look too shiny as that would become flaky skin patch. To resolve this problem, the best way is to try a sample. The sample should suit your skin from the perspective of hydration as well as shiny aspect. You will need a primer that is creamy and hydrating but has a very gentle texture.
- Oily skin
Oily skin type needs a primer which gives a matt effect. There are primers for oily skin that help to reduce the greasy impact of oil on your skin. Oily skin also means large pores. You need oil free products for your skin, along with your primer. Your oily skin primer will help to minimize the pores and also prevent from these reoccurring at all. Since minimizing pores is a prime need, choose a primer that does the job for you.
- Combination skin
Combination skin type is a type where the skin has both drying and oily effect. Some parts of the skin are particularly oily, and the rest of the skin is neutral or dry. For this combination skin type, you will need to work on finding an excellent neutral primer that has some amount of matt effect for oily parts. Or the other advise would be to choose an oily skin primer for the oily patches of your skin so that they can be healed well.
- Mature skin
Mature and aging skin needs unique things from the primer. The primer should have an anti-aging effect and work to smooth the wrinkles and fine lines. A mature skin primer is for skin that is closer to growing old and needs more nourishment to save it from aging fast. Check the label for the features of the primer and choose a primer that helps to prevent aging and works to make the mature skin smooth.
Some people are dealing with numerous skin issues and prominent ones like acne scars and large pores. These issues can be resolved with the help of a primer. You need a primer that is equipped to deal with skin issues like these. Few primers help to reduce the pores specifically. Check for the features and choose the one that solves the majority of your skin issues. To cure large pores completely, you need products like a foundation for large pores and pore minimizing primers.
A primer comes into direct contact with your skin. Do not slack down with brand while choosing a primer. Choose a primer of a kind and reputed brand. This will ensure that your skin is in safe hands and you will not have any adverse impacts. Even with a good brand, check for the reviews and only then zero down on the one that fits the framework of what you want from the primer.
Choose a primer depending upon how much you plan to use it. Are you going to use it every day or occasionally? If the answer is every day, it is essential that the primer is gentle, moisturizing and has good qualities which nourish the skin. Do not choose a heavy primer which is harsh and has a thick texture if you plan to use it daily.
This is an important consideration. While you want multiple things from your primer, it might end up costing you huge as well. Decide on the budget and then list out the priority things you need from the primer. Check what fits the budget and then accordingly buy the primer. Do not go for a primer because it is cheap. The cost cannot be the sole consideration if you want the best primer for large pores.
Primers are usually skin-friendly products. However, there are advanced primers which have thick textures, and they can end up being harsh on your skin. Choose a silicone-free primer so that you are assured that your skin is not subjected to any more harsh products.
A primer can help tighten the skin if it has anti-aging qualities. There are special primers for people with mature skin; these make the skin tight and hence slow down the aging of the skin. While you cannot control your age, you can certainly make sure you age in style, and a primer with anti-aging impact is a positive step to facilitate the same.
If you plan to use your primer daily, it is a boon if your primer has SPF. This reduces the need for applying a particular sunscreen. You can be ensured that even without the sunscreen, your skin will be protected from the heat and sun as the primer hydrates the skin and also had SPF, which protects the skin. Choose a primer with SPF as a significant component to making your life a little easier.
These are a few of the points that should be considered when deciding on the best primer for large pores. Pores are present in abundance in oily skin, and they make way for acne too. All these can be tactfully handled and reduced by introducing primers in your skincare routine. Even more so for people who love makeup.
Plastic surgeon and IPL professional. Combining the best technologies with professional skills to help clients become happier.